Happy Saturday, folks!
In past posts, we’ve been talking about the importance of introducing more diverse fiction into Christian fiction, why we love reading diverse fiction, why it’s important, what some of the roadblocks have been, and sharing some of our own stories.
Today I’d like to focus on some things we can do to bring more diverse fiction to our own neighborhoods. Because there are many ways to give at Christmas time and sometimes that can be a few extra minutes of our time! So, here are some of the ways I thought of:
- Go to your local library once per month and request a new diverse book they don’t have yet.
- Go to your local (non-chain) bookstore and request a diverse book that you’ve read and loved but don’t see on their shelves.
- Have a church group or a book club? Invite your favorite author of diverse books to speak. You never know, they might say yes! It means more sales for them and more exposure, plus added knowledge for our churches and book clubs!
- Have connections at your local schools or universities? See about getting more diverse fiction on their shelves or about inviting your favorite author of diverse fiction for a speaking engagement.
- When you read diverse books, make sure to write reviews on Amazon and Goodreads. This helps with sales and spreading the love!
- Consider writing diverse fiction, if you don’t already. Writing is sometimes as fun as reading (though it’s a bit more work). 🙂
What other ideas do you have about spreading the love of diverse fiction in your neck of the woods?